Monday, August 8, 2016

About Me

Let's assume that you want to know anything about my personal life or interest in science fiction, okay?

I'm Christina Swan, your sometimes friendly English teacher. This is my eleventh (!) year teaching at LASA. Like all of your teachers, this is what I do in my free time: 


That's a metaphor, of course. Shh!  When you can't find me on campus, I'm at home with these adorable children: 



Here are the kinds of things we like to do for fun: 















Here are the kinds of things I like to do for fun: 









In my previous life, I studied English literature at the University of Dallas, and later at UT. I like it all. Here are some of my favorite books:
















Some of you know that I like Shakespeare an awful lot. But my area of expertise is actually Poetry and Poetics, particularly modern poetry. I wrote part of a dissertation about these guys: 




And then I decided that I'd rather talk to you guys about books. It was a good decision.

But tell us more about science fiction! 

Oh gosh, guys. I was obsessed with superheroes from toddlerhood. I watched Star Trek: The Next Generation religiously WHEN IT WAS ON (yes, I'm old). I've written diatribes about Princess Leia and the treatment of droids in the Star Wars universe (those are two separate topics). In my practically-nonexistent free time, I write sci fi stories. I'm currently working on a short story about an AI in the very near future, though it's still in the research phase. I binge-watched Battlestar Galactica and Moffat's Dr. Who and all those fun shows (though I am woefully uninformed about the old Dr. Who. Maybe we should bring in Mr. Flowers or Ms. Earnhart for a guest lecture?). I spent my summer reading and reading for this course, and still have barely skimmed the surface of the genre. I do not know everything about sci fi, though when I decide I like a specific book or show, I fan hard over it.

I. I. I. Tell me about your life and your interest in science fiction.  

2 comments:

  1. When I first met my wife in college, she was writing newspaper columns to preview Star Trek: The Next Generation. I even went to the TV studio with her once to watch the episode that would air the next week. I knew I had met my sweet, little nerd. When she showed me her Star Trek collection (which includes several original scripts and a Tribble), I REALLY knew it.

    So, good luck on the class. And, if you want some show and tell sci-fi stuff, let me know.
    --- Risinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, that makes me so happy! Star Trek:The Next Generation was my gateway drug around the ages of 10-12. We joke that I quit Girl Scouts because it conflicted with watching ST: TNG...but it's really more of a sad commentary than a joke.

      Tina is AWESOME. Can she direct me to copies of her columns? I'd love to show them in class when we watch TNG.

      And yes I DO WANT SHOW AND TELL STUFF. We have a lot of paraphernalia ourselves, but more is more, right?

      Delete